"Happiness is like a butterfly. The more you chase it, the more it eludes you. But if you turn your attention to other things, It comes and sits softly on your shoulder."
~Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Never Forget

I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I was impacted personally on 9/11/01. I didn't lose anyone that I knew, but somehow when I watch the videos today, it takes me back to where I was that day. I remember thinking, how horrible it all was and how many children lost their parents. But when I watch today I know what the ending is. Watching it live as I did that day 10 years ago, I was at the edge of my seat, not knowing what would happen next.

I was a sophomore in college. I didn't have classes on Tuesday, so I was working that morning. I was opening the store when my dad called me and told me to turn on the news. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was hard to focus on work. When I got home, my dad and I were talking and I had pondered so much on the fact that it took place on 9/11 and found it ironic that it was also 9-1-1 a state of emergency.
As a family, we sat in our hot-tub outside that night looking up at the clear sky...with no aircraft within sight.

I hope that everyone who was directly impacted that day and in the days, weeks, and years that followed in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are healing. I can't even imagine what today brings back to them. They live it everyday when their loved ones are not with them.

I used to think it was crazy that my dad wanted to watch the documentaries about JFK's assassination and The Vietnam War...but now I realize that he lived through those events and to him it was important to remember those historic events. Now I realize that the events of 9/11 and the Oklahoma City Bombings and Columbine shooting are those historic events for me. I will eventually tell my future children about them and I hope that I can describe the events as they unfolded that day and how they affected me.

GOD BLESS AMERICA, THE LAND THAT I LOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment